Product or Service Use Case
This section describes how the customer becomes aware of a product, acquires and gets value from it. We do this so we can understand how a product fits into a customer’s life. The more insight we can get the better, as we can learn to create, promote and support the customer.
Setting down this process in a document will also serve as a signpost for the new product development team. Having a clear description of process will hekp ensure that the whole team is on the same page when it come to developing the product.
There are 10 stages in this cycle.
- Catalyst for action
- Discover options
- Analyse options
- Acquire the product
- Use and get value
- Evaluate value
- Tell others
Different products will have varying levels of complexity in this process.
Work in teams. Take two products, one from your personal life and one from your student life. Using the list above, map out the use case cycle. For each of the points think about:
- Who is involved?
- When does the action happen?
- Where does the action take place?
- How does the action take place?
- Looking at your work, are there any gaps in your understanding?
- How will you fill those gaps?
- Which stages of the use case pose the greatest risk to the adoption of the product?